All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never before have many clinical developments and new techniques emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of individuals the chance to minimize or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and fast way to remedy vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by elegant ads about a specific laser center. Select the medical professional, not the laser. Find out who will actually do your procedure, then ask about that physician's credentials (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Choose a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional does not understand can injure you.
Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your doctor won't tell you, discover another one.
Ask what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute. The prospective savings are unworthy the threat of receiving less than expert care!
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, but do not expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat different result. The finest cosmetic surgeon on the visit our website planet cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgery, results are as private as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting till the brand-new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the eyesight of countless individuals around the world.